Thursday, May 15, 2014

Recipe: Potato Pinecone


Potatoes are a staple crop in my neck of the woods.  We grow them in our backyard and eat them almost every day,  I like to joke that I know 100 different ways to cook a potato.  (Must be the Irish in me!)  This is one of my favorite recipes to make, a potato pinecone!  I reserve this dish for special occasions since it takes a little bit more time and effort than just throwing a potato in the oven.  Here's how you can make one...


Use some kind of carving tool to make out a diamond shape at the very top of the potato.  Draw lines going down as shown.  Use this as a guideline to quickly criss-cross the deisgn onto the potato.  Save the shavings as you go.  I like to toast them with pine nuts and add to the base of the dish.  I usually add butter, brown sugar and honey over the potato before baking.  Sometimes I like to garnish it with beech brown mushrooms.  I don't always have these ingredients on hand, so the recipe changes based on what I do.  

How would you season a potato pinecone, forest friends?




1 comment:

  1. Wow, I absolutely love this idea! And the touch of honey sounds delicious. Might try this out some time soon;)

    And thanks for your comment on my bookmarks. I'm so glad to hear that you like them:D I caught the sewing bug again, so there will be more soon.

    ReplyDelete