Sunday, January 11, 2015

Recipe: The Green & White Delight


Friends of the Forest, I have a confession to make.  I love potatoes.  Maybe it's the Irish in me, the fact that they're so easy to grow, so cheap, and so versatile.  In fact, I often pride myself on knowing 100 ways to cook a potato (I've even considered writing a book about it!).  So when I grew tired of trying new recipes that required lots of expensive ingredients (I'm lookin' at you, asparagus tart!), I decided to rely on my old standby: a potato salad.  I never make the same salad twice, so this time I invented a really delicious one using ingredients that I had on hand.  You bet your bark I'll be cooking this at The Greenhaus on the regular!  

Recipe:
6 potatoes
1 cup of peas
1 cup garbanzo beans
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
3 green onions, chopped
half a white onion, chopped
2 heads of garlic
1/8 cup hemp oil
salt + pepper
herbs

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.  Chop the tops off of each head of garlic and drizzle oil over them.  Add salt and pepper, and wrap in tinfoil.  Wrap your potatoes while you're at it.  While the spuds get nice and soft, chop up the onion, green onions, and bell pepper.  Put all that in a big bowl.  Now add your peas and garbanzo beands.  I chose there ingredients because I had them on hand, canned.  If you prefer not to use canned food, soak the beans before starting this recipe.  When the oven goods are done, cut each potato in half and set aside to cool for a while.  Remove the roasted garlic from their skins and mash them in a separate bowl until they turn to jam. Add oil, salt, pepper and herbs to the mix and stir!  When it has made a good sauce, set aside.  The potatoes should be cool enough to cut into cubes.  Add all the ingredients together and mix well.  Put it in the fridge for a while or just leave out so the flavors mingle.  The peas should mix with the sauce, turning it  a gorgous green.  Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment