Sunday, February 3, 2019

The Clothing Swap 2019


The Clothing Swap is a Baltimore tradition.  Founded in 2013 by Anna Grothe, this semi-annual
event has become a community of cool people swapping clothes.  From fabulous forest frocks to vintage 60's pieces, most of my wardrobe since moving to the east coast has come from this swap.
When I first came to Baltimore four years ago I attended the Clothing Swap in a park off Keswick Road in the Hampden neighborhood.  I ran into friends, coworkers, and all sorts of interesting people swapping clothing of all colors, sizes, and shapes! 

Men's T-shirts donated by local design company Horse and Hare

I recently attended the first Clothing Swap of 2019 and came back with a lot of wonderful pieces: a black literary witch dress covered in the text from a dictionary page, a handmade hemp renaissance dress dyed purple, gratuitous green garments , an Andrew Jihad Jackson band tee, shirts with the covers of my favorite books printed on them,  vintage 60's florals, a corset belt, a red velvet mini dress, lingerie, and so much more!  I can't wait to share some of these clothes in my upcoming daily outfit posts...


Now for my Clothing Swap strategy:  I usually go through my closet a week before the event.  I sort, organize and get my clothes in order while purging many items to make room for the new goods!  I wash a load of donations and fold them up into a box.  Then the day of the swap, I load that box into my cart and walk to the swap.  I usually arrive early, sort clothes into their respective sections.  Then I start to make my rounds with the cart, tossing in any green or brown basics while keeping my eyes peeled for cute dresses.  I usually stay throughout the whole event as people show up at all times to bring their old clothes.  Like a bird of prey, I stalk the stylin' folks to see what they put down then swoop in to grab it.  It's also fun seeing friends from the community and catching up.  I can't tell you how many friendships I've struck up just by pointing out a cute color or pattern and telling some stranger "This is so you!" or "Look it's in your color!"

If you live in or near Baltimore, I highly encourage taking advantage of this swap.  If not, why not start your own swap in your city?

No comments:

Post a Comment