Thursday, June 11, 2020

Road Trip Out West


Summer is finally here, what better way to kick it off with a roadtrip!  Being stuck inside for so long got me down.  I couldn't take it anymore, so I got out of town...  Flew out West to Arizona to see my mom.  The next day we drove to California.  On the way we stopped in Quartzsite, a small desert town near the border that specializes in gems and crystals.  At the rest stops along the way I studied the native plants:  cottonweed, date palms, white sage, wood's rose berries, solanum flowers...I listened to Arizona by Mark Lindsay as I collected a few samples.  


We went to Redondo Beach, where I lived until I was seven years old.  The pier was open and people were out having fun while California Sun by the Ramones blasted from my speakers.  At Mermaid's Dowry they sold fishing nets, bamboo wind chimes, ponchos, wooden surfboards, and hemp jewelry.  There were hippies all over and you could buy Grateful Dead shirts at Tradewinds,  On the beach I set up my hammock under the pier and watched seals swim in the shallow shore.  Afterwards we got tacos from a little joint on the side of the road...


When we got back to Arizona I spent a few days reading esoteric astrology books from the 70's that my mom had.  Listening to King Harvest and watching documentaries.  On the last day, we drove to Sedona to see the red rocks.  We went to the church on the rocks high and looked down on Stevie Nick's house.  Walked around the town and ate at a secret Thai Palace restaurant where we had the back patio to ourselves and dragonflies darted around waterfall fountains.  It was a great trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment