Monday, February 19, 2024

Forest Fiction Fan Club: Cozy Forest Fantasies



Gather round, green readers! One of my resolutions for twenty-twenty-forest is to read more fiction. I have been in a bit of a reading rut lately and I work at a library for crying out loud! I remember when I was younger and would come home from work every night with a huge stack of YA fantasy and read until I fell asleep. These days, I sneak scraps of interesting looking nonfiction books I find at work. Rarely does anything new "hook" me. I suppose after reading so much, I got bored with the same old literary tropes. And don't even get me started on the sorry state of modern fiction. Often, I judge a book by its cover, pick it up and try to get into it and hate it! Then, I discovered an emerging new genre called cozy fantasy. Fantasy fiction set in soft, slow-paced worlds where the focus is more on enjoying life's simple pleasures and relationships. Here are three recent reads I actually enjoyed...


Hakumei & Mikochi: Tiny Little Life in the Woods by Takuto Kashiki is a manga series that follows the adventures of two friends in the forest as they spend their days exploring, foraging, cooking and working. The story starts with the characters trying to haul a wooden dresser into their treehouse apartment and ends with a ride on the back of a mythical bird. This odd couple goes about the woods and meet many friends along the way. This series was also made into an anime series which looks even more lush in color!

For fans of: The Borrowers, Little House in the Big Woods, and Wind in the Willows



Eva Evergreen: Semi-Magical Witch by Julia Abe is a children's coming of age novel about an apprentice witch who must go through a trial to prove her magical might. This adventure appeals to those who love a classic quest and is filled with cozy characters and animal companions. Fall in love with the quaint seaside town of Auteri as Eva must do good deeds for the townsfolk. The worldbuilding creates an accessible entryway to this fantasy world. 

For fans of: Harry Potter, The Worst Witch, and Witch Hat Atelier



After the Forest by Kell Woods is a fairy tale retelling of Hansel and Gretel all grown up and trying to make a living in their small hamlet. When Greta discovers the secret recipe for the witch's gingerbread she starts to bake it and sell it to support the family while uncovering dark secrets about her past and the forest. While I normally abhor literary retellings, this adult novel is well-written, relatable and manages to avoid the fantasy trope of over-the-top worldbuilding that I can't keep up with. 

For fans of: Grimm's Fairy Tales, The Goose Girl, and Ella Enchanted

No comments:

Post a Comment