Monday, June 17, 2013

The Forest Librarian Reccomends: Girl of the Limberlost



This is one of my favorite books of all time!  I found it on the shelf gathering dust when I worked at the library and checked it out more times than anyone else there did. The story is about a young gal, Elnora who lives in the forests of Indiana, near Limberlost Swamp.  She goes into the woods and swamp to play and collect bugs to pay for college, much to her mother’s dismay, before the whole area is sold for lumber and oil.  She plays violin in the forest and meets a fancy boy from out of town.  What will happen?  You’ll just have to read and find out…
I read it in bed listening to the Decemberists Hazard’s of Love album  especially the song that goes “limber limbs akimbo…” I read it lying down in the backseat of our bug, watching the trees fly by as we drove up the mountain to camp, I read it in the shelves of the library.  I read it until I had ton take it back when I left the library, but now I have my own copy.  This book was published in 1909, so you can find it on Project Gutenburg if you wish to download it to an E-Reader.

No comments:

Post a Comment