Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Favorite Forest Food Books!


The other day, I had to wait in a bookstore for Jesse to get out of class.  Since I was going to be there for hours, I decided to read a ton of books.  I caught up on some graphic novels, did some sketches from drawing books, browsed the craft books, the gardening section, and the cookbooks.  The Forest has really become an all-encompassing lifestyle blog, and I have been focusing on developing more recipes this year.  I wanted to get some inspiration for new recipes, so journal in hand I headed over to the cafe with a stack of books and a case of mushroom sushi!  Here are my favorite forest food and drink resources:

The Forest Feast I've always been a fan of the Forest Feast blog, I just love the way Erin Gleeson styles her food photography  When I found out she was publishing a cookbook, I hoped I could one day read it.  Luckily, the shop had one copy in stock.  I must got to say there are a ton of amazing recipes utilizing ingredients I often have on hand.  It was nice being able to flip through the book, however, in the intro she seems to have a vibe that she got into the forest to cash in on her client's "earthy" tastes.  All in all, I would love to own this book one day!

The Drunken Botanist Mixology is a new skill I'm just now branching out onto.  It started with a mushroom cocktail, and I plan  to publish original drink recipes every now and then on the Forest.  This beautiful hardcover book by Amy Stewart is the kind I'd like to have on the bookshelf next to our bar!  Reading this book was a real eye-opener for me.  For example, I had no idea pine liqueur existed!  This book is perfect for anyone who might relate to the title of "drunken botanist".

The Mushroom Feast I already have this book, and I would definitely recommend it to anyone who loves cooking with mushrooms!  So many possibilities, and many french inspired dishes.  The author shares amusing anecdotes with each recipe, and one in particular really intrigued me...in the recipe for champignons à la crème, author Jane Grigson mentions a french film starring Françoise Rosay where she seduces a young man with the recipe!  After extensive research, I still can't identify the title of the movie, and the author never mentions it.  Shame, I wanted to make the dish for Jesse and watch the movie before our french class ends!

Friends of the Forest, what are your favorite cookbooks or forest-inspired recipes?


3 comments:

  1. omg, I had no idea you were still blogging, I think I had bookmarked a domain name that got erased a couple years ago... I always found the Forest really inspiring and uplifting and it made my day to find it again! Keep it up :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I went to see the Book Thief I found myself with a bit of extra time before the movie started so I happened upon this cookbook shop and caught a glimpse of the Forest Feast in the window. I went in and fell in love, so I got it. It's amazing, isn't it? There are a few recipes I'm not sure I'd like to try, but most seem really delicious. And the pictures, wow<3

    The rest sounds really fun as well, not something I might actually use, but they do seem amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete