Thursday, February 19, 2015

Forests and Factories










Today was weird day in the woods.  As I rose with the dawn to grind the morning coffee  and prepare for the day, I heard the buzzing of a chainsaw.  I opened the green door and to my horror I saw a most unpleasant sight.  The trees on our little lawn were being clear cut!  I stood silently, sipping my coffee while silently watching my friends fall...and I wanted to march out there with my wooden ladder, climb to the top of the trees and sing:

Forests & Factories,
come on boys chop those trees
forests & factories,
you know nothing comes free
forests & factories,
why do you stomp out the fairies?


Forests & Factories,
please don't cut down my trees
forests & factories,
I beg upon my knees
forests & factories,
I'll write it in stories...

In a fantasy world, that might have sent the treacherous tree-killers away.  In a play I've been writing, a girl is sent to a labor lumbermill and they sing the song Forests & Factories and win the wilderness wars.  This is not a fairytale.  This is not a musical.  I admit, I've lost the fighting spirit. What could I do, the street is controlled by codes that I can't change. I am really going to miss my little forest...





No comments:

Post a Comment