Monday, September 27, 2021

Fashion Factory Tour

 


Last Friday, I headed downtown after work at Central Library to attend an exclusive event at Sew Bromo Sewing School. The school has a new curator, Victor Colvin, who donated part of his vast collection of heritage sewing machines to it. Stacey and Nicole are poised to revitalize Baltimore’s faded & forgotten garment district with their fashion factory and sewing schoolBetween the two of them, they already run two successful fashion lines: Elsa Fitzgerald and IcosaPay attention to them as we enter the new Roaring 20’s.  



I entered the big building in Pigtown and took the elevator to the fourth floor. People were already starting to show up and the hostesses had set up an array of chocolates, cookies, sparkling water, and wine for the guests to enjoy. I nibbled on a Ferro Rocher and sipped my drink and I mingled among the crowd.  I talked to local designers, photographers, and tailors. One of the women I met runs a nonprofit organization, The Cavanagh House which offers apprenticeships in upholstery and sewingThe program is a true blessing for someone who wants to learn a trade and get paid for itCheck out her website! 


After a few speeches everyone got to tour the museum of olsewing machines, a seriously stunning collection!  The school is planning to offer Heritage Sewing Classes to show students how to operate antique sewing machines.  I can’t wait to take that class!  The hour was getting late, and I had to call a cab home.  I stopped to chat with Stacey a bit before heading out.  “Absolutely fabulous, the event was a smash success!” I raved.   “Oh, one last thing,” I asked, “Did you see Cruella?”  She smiled.  “Oh, I love Cruella,” she confessed
  


No comments:

Post a Comment